So, the Dirfector’s Cut version of Kamen Rider OOO x W feat Skull Movie Wars CORE comes out this week (Sept.21), and people have been wondering just what kind of changes or additions have been made to the movie. Well wonder no more! We have a super-long list of changes that have been made, which includes extended scenes, new scenes, and a reversal in the movie order. Let’s see what the director has done.
NOTE: For this version of the movie, the director has reversed the order in which the movies are presented, therefore the first one shown in this version is the OOO Movie, Kamen Rider OOO: Nobunaga’s Desire. The changes to that are as follows:
- In the beginning, there are a few extra seconds of Kougami painting on the floor while whispering “ambition”. There’s a shot of Nobunaga’s rusted emblem and a quick flashback to Warring States era Nobunaga when they find his body underground.
- Right before they revive Nobunaga, Kougami is shown preparing a “Happy Birthday” cake, and the machine that brings him back stays on screen for slightly longer. A brief flash to the aforementioned cake, shown after Nobunaga’s revival, is removed.
- Eiji is shown delivering newspaper to several locations before meeting Nobunaga, rather than just once.
- Eiji is actually shown inserting medals in the OOO driver one by one before facing Nobunaga for the first time.
- There’s an extended cut when Eiji finds the unconscious human Nobunaga. He attempts to wake him up several times.
- Eiji is shown in the kitchen preparing the food before giving it to Nobunaga. After the underpants scene, Eiji wonders about what Nobunaga is going to do and suggests going to the police.
- Completely new scene. Eiji is working in another part time job, carrying some crates with drinks. Nobunaga returns, and Eiji wonders if he didn’t look for the police. Nobunaga offers to help Eiji. However, he ends up stumbling and dropping his crate, breaking some drinks. The owner of the shot complains. Eiji apologizes for him, however, Nobunaga refuses to apologize, suddenly showing a completely different personality.
- There’s an extended shot of everyone reacting in surprise to Nobunaga buying all of a company’s stocks during the first scene with the ballerina.
- Completely new scene. After they start eating with Nobunaga, Ankh appears, just as an arm. Eiji notices him and asks about what he had done to the detective. Rather than that, he talks about the monster that has appeared lately and killed humans, and asks Eiji if he wonders about his identity. Ankh shows one of the papers with the family emblems that Nobunaga drops after killing people, and says that the monster has some relation to the Sengoku era. Afterwards, through a glass, he points at Nobunaga. Meanwhile, Nobunaga and the dancer have a heated discussion about Mitsuhide Akechi and her ancestry. Eiji yet again asks Ankh about the detective. Ankh grabs Eiji by the mouth and says that he’s returning to his place.
- When Kougami and Nobunaga are in the car, before the rest of the conversation, Kougami congratulates him for his nice trick during the auction. A cut to outside of the car is moved to before they start the conversation that they had in the original movie.
- Kougami nods to Satonaka who gives Nobunaga the Birth Driver. Goto is shown to be there too, and he’s surprised to see it, clearly not liking what’s going on.
- Completely New scene. Kougami is shown dropping Nobunaga in his company and the scene follows Kougami leaving in the limousine. Goto wonders why Kougami gave the belt to Nobunaga. Kougami tells him to not worry about anything, it’s all part of an experiment and calls Nobunaga a “doll”.
- Completely New scene. During Nobunaga’s battle as Birth against the Dino Yummy, there’s a sudden cut to Eiji in the Cous Cossier. He asks Hina if she thinks he’s an useless human. Hina asks about what happened, and Eiji wonders if Nobunaga will be okay, because he seemed strange. Meanwhile, on tv, there’s a report about an “Unidentified Lifeform” attacking. Eiji and Hina turn their attention to that. It mentions that the police hasn’t answered yet, but there’s someone else there… the camera then shows Birth fighting.
- Before Birth uses the Crane arm, Birth throws its gun away and there’s an aerial camera shot.
- Completely New scene. The news report that the warrior in armor defeated the Unidentified Life Form and then goes on to show that his identity is Nobunaga. Eiji and Hina wonder why he transformed.
- There’s an extended cut when Nobunaga grabs the dancer. He calls her beautiful and she stands around for a few moments before trying to escape.
- OOO vs Nobunaga. There’s a brief extended clip of OOO running around with the Cheeta legs before the scene returns to the ballerina. There’s a brief clip with Nobunaga’s vision failing while he fails to recognize Eiji right after their second battle.
- Completely New scene. In a meeting with his company, one of Nobunaga’s employee talks about a cellphone, but Nobunaga fails to recognize what it is. The employee takes that to be joke, but then Nobunaga has another headache + vision failure and leaves.
- After Nobunaga falls from the stairs, he looks at his own hand, which is turning black and cell medals are falling from it.
- When the people Eiji helped early in the movie offer to take Eiji to a party, they actually are shown dragging Eiji to it.
- There’s a big ugly “DIRECTOR’S CUT” with a black bar over part of the “Count the Medals” screen. They also didn’t bother fixing it to remove the Blue medals and include Ankh’s Taka medal there.
And now let’s see what they’ve done with the W movie, Kamen Rider Skull: Message for W (conveniently arranged by flashback):
Kamen Rider W: Present
- Extended shot of W looking at the Yummy and complaining about it before jumping.
- Extended shot of W vs Yummy. Terui is shown arriving in his bike in the background. Camera then changes to focus on him removing his sword from his bike. There’s a little bit more of W vs Yummy and only afterwards Terui finally arrives.
- Extended shot of the scene where Akiko runs away. Terui stumbles around and then uses his catchphrase on himself.
- Two extra shots of Fuuto while Shotaro describes Akiko’s situation. The description is expanded compared to the original one.
- Shot of Akiko’s back while the expanded explanation continues. Afterwards, she goes and lists everyone (comrades, father, Terui, etc, with the Kamen Rider form of each one flashing on screen)
- In the original, there was a shot of the river while Akiko remembered her father’s words about staying by her side. In the DC, there’s a quick flashback to the day she talked with her father on the phone that is going to be detailed later in the movie.
Kamen Rider Skull: Past
- Extended shot of Melissa in her room complaining calling Soukichi to complain about how he’s doing nothing to protect her and it’ll be a big problem.
- Completely new scene. Soukichi and his partner are actually shown driving by Fuuto in their car. They don’t speak anything to each other, just look at a paper and then it starts raining. There’s also a shot of them leaving the car under heavy rain, while in the original the car was just shown parked outside with lighter rain.
- Completely new scene. Soukichi and his partner enter into the theater under the rain. Meanwhile, the Bat Dopant woman is standing outside, a man bumps into her, she acts like there was no problem, but right afterwards beats him up and then walks in the direction of the theater.
- Shot of Soukichi walking through the agency and turning on the lights before going into the Skull room.
- There’s a longer shot of the architecture expert. Soukichi takes him and his informant wishes him well while they leave. There’s also an extra exterior shot of the Yaguchi Entertainment Company.
- There’s a new shot of Skull touching the Memory in his driver and his scarf blowing. There’s also a few extra seconds of Shroud dodging Bat’s attacks.
- The first shot of Skull beating up Masquerades is slightly exchanged before the camera cut.
- A few extra seconds of Skull vs Spider, just enough for two punches. Afterwards, Bat beating up Shroud.
- New extended cut of Soukichi escaping running through the Yaguchi agency again.
Kamen Rider W: Present
- Completely new scene. After the Yummy flies with Akiko, Shotaro and Terui stand up and shout for Akiko. Shotaro then complains about the Yummy and starts thinking about monsters in general. He goes on to remember the events of Begin’s Night, including Soukichi’s death. He decides that he’ll have to protect Akiko, and then Philip corrects him, saying that “we” will. Terui cries that he won’t let it steal his bride.
Kamen Rider Skull: Past
- Completely new scene. Melissa walks alongside Fuuto’s ocean, singing. Soukichi finds her, tells her that she won’t need to run away now, he already knows the identity of the Spider Man. She actually already knew about his identity. He makes a promise to her to bring him back and then leaves with “Nobody’s Perfect” playing. However, right afterwards, Shroud appears and reveals that Spider Man will die if a memory break is used on him. She wonders if Soukichi will still fight.
- Extended cut of Soukichi facing Matsu. The punch that drops his glasses doesn’t do so in the Director’s Cut. Soukichi grabs Matsu, but he hits him with his knee. Soukichi then hits him, grabs him again and punches him. Only then the glasses fall and Melissa arrives.
- When Soukichi seems the spider in Melissa’s hand, there’s a flashback to Yaguchi blowing up.
- When Matsu mentions the attack on the theater where he used the Spider abilities, there’s new an extended cut where he explains the details before the flashback, and the flashback itself is longer.
- Flashback after the spider is implanted on Melissa is extended. Matsu is shown shouting about finding Melissa and then runs through the other way. Soukichi now is shown realizing that’s the reasons she avoided him in the present, rather than his voice during the flashback (which is cut in this version).
- When Matsu touches Melissa’s shoulder and says “look”, now the camera moves away sooner, showing his face while he talks, rather than just his arm like in the original cut.
- They actually CUT one or two seconds of Melissa running through the corridor before being punched by Spider Man.
- Spider Man’s face takes the screen and he laughs at Soukichi.
- New close up of Bat Dopant’s face.
- After Soukichi says that Matsu sold his soul for a Gaia Memory, there’s a flashback to them together in the past.
Kamen Rider W: Present
- After Akiko awakens, she wonders about where she is.
- A black bar with “Director’s Cut” written there covering part of the “Gaia Memories” screen at the end of the W story.
And finally, we have the changes to the final part of this movie, Movie Wars CORE!:
- The shot of the “Cristo Redentor” was changed to one also showing its surroundings.
- Very slightly extended shot of Akiko’s face after she hears Melissa’s words. Afterwards, W’s theme continues into the next scene, which is full screen, not running alongside the credits.
- Scene where Eiji returns is in full screen now, with OOO’s end of story theme from the tv show playing.
- Movie credits and theme song start playing. They’re just Gaia Memories and medals falling through the screen. No “Making of” footage or anything else, it’s just like the background of the original credit sequence.
So what do you think of the changes made here? Is this now a completely different movie, or do you think these changes will have no real effect on the overall film?
-M.C., the Quantum Twin