Alright, there’s been a mini debate over ho long Go-Kaiger will actually run for. On the one hand, you have rumored episode summaries that point to 50 episodes, and before then there were rumors that the series could go well over 50. So which rumor is closer to the truth? Looks like we might have the answer to that question.
According to new Blu-Ray and DVD listings, Go-Kaiger will run for 52 episodes. This comes from news that they are including five episodes per disc, instead of just four, and that they started including those fifth episodes as early as volume 9 (total volume collection has been counted at 12). So if the last four volumes includes 5 episodes each, and the previous 8 volumes included four episodes each, then that brings the hypothetical total to 52 episodes, which would debunk the newer finale rumors and reassert the older episode count rumors. But is this really the case? Will the series run throught February We’ll just have to keep waiting to find out.
-M.C., the Quantum Twin
Ikari Gai, an interesting character, to say the least. The sixth Go-Kaiger, he’s a majorly geeky fanboy, and yet one of the coolest characters on the show. He became instantly loved (and hated) after his very first appearance because of the blatant fact that he is both the official representative of all Sentai fanatics, and the ultimate expression of the fanboy fantasy come true. Here is this incredibly nerdy fanboy, given a chance to be the very thing he obsesses about daily, and by three of the biggest legends in the Sentai universe no less. That would be like Dr.Tommy Oliver showing up at your door, handing you a morpher, and saying “It’s your turn now”. But with such a popular character, there’s bound to be rumors about him spread across the web, and there is one massive rumor associated with him that we’re focused on now: that, at some point, he could be killed off before the end of the series. There’s plenty of signs out associated with him that could very much point to that possibility, but there are also plenty of other signs that he won’t be. Here’s how it’s laid out so far:
Reasons why people think Gai will be killed off:
- His name. Now this might not seem like much, but that name has been given to other past Sentai senshi who were killed off, most notably Yuki Gai (Black Condor) who appeared in the Jetman tribute episode, as a ghost! What if the writers gave him that name because they planned on killing him off?
- When he recieved the Go-KaiCellular, he was in a coma, and was visited by the spirits of Mikito/AbareKiller, TimeFire, and Dragon Ranger. All three were past Sixth Rangers that were killed off by the end of their respective series. So was that another sign that Gai is doomed?
- Because rumors about him dying keep popping up. Honestly, I think most of it’s just persistent Gai haters and trolls putting it out there, but some of it could be genuine.
As you can see, there are some “arguements” for why people think Gai will one day walk the plank (sorry, couldn’t resist). But here’s some compelling arguements I’ve come up with for why myself and many others think Gai will live:
- Because he’s a geeky fanboy. When you get down to it, Gai has only a very loose association with these dead characters that have been mentioned or referenced to him. He has a completely different personality all together from the other characters that were mentioned. They were these tough, macho characters that often started out as the bad guy! Gai is as far from that as you can get.
- This is actually a new one I came up with after watching the last episode. Throughout that episode, while Yuki Gai was interacting with the other Go-Kaigers, Gai couldn’t even see him, he had no idea he was even there until the others told him about it. And you’d think Gai of all people would have seen him, especially since he was in a coma at one point. That sort of thing tends to happen in fiction. So what does that say about Gai’s fate?
- Toei has had a policy since the end of Hurricanger not to kill off any major heroic characters, due to then Japanese involvement in the Iraq war (needless to say, no involvement there anymore). And they’ve kept to that promise since then (the only exceptions have been bad guys that switched to the good side, which is rather lazy from a writing standpoint if you ask me). And since Gai has been a heroic character from the start, there’s no way they could kill him.
- Because they couldn’t kill him off even if they wanted too. He’s become too popular a character, to endearing a character, to just kill off. There would be so many people complaining about it, so many people ticked off enough to force the writers to bring the character back from the dead permanently. And I’m pretty sure that they wouldn’t want to deal with that at Toei.
In case you haven’t been able to tell, I’m on the side that believes Gai will live, that they won’t even think about killing him off. And I mean, really, why would they kill him off? What purpose would that hold in this story? This isn’t a dark, mature series, it’s about colorfully dress pirates looking for adventure and treasure. You can only get so serious with it. And besides, I like Gai. I can relate to him. His overbearing geekiness, his need to be a good person all around, his sometimes weird and off-center ways of doing things and view of the world. Honestly, I would be one of those extremely pissed off people that would complain every chance I’d get if they decided to kill of Gai. That’s just not going to happen, not under my watch.
Long live Go-KaiSilver!
-M.C., the Quantum Twin