Of the many Sentai heroes and warriors that fought in the Legend War, one that was noticably missing for long-time Sentai fans was a certain blue ninja of Kakuranger fame by the name of Ninjaman. For the MMPR generation, you know him as Ninjor, the one that gave the Rangers (and the Alien Rangers before them) their Ninja Powers in the TV series (sorry, the movie explaination doesn’t count). Part of the reason fans have complained about him not being included in the Legend War was because there were other Extra Senshi similar to Ninjaman who were there and in on the action. So what happened to Ninjaman? Well, we thought we had the answer before, when these translations from the 199 Heroes movie pamhplet came out:
- There was actually a great battle with many of the Sentai giant robots against the Zangyack’s fleet.
- The robots were destroyed/defeated and that’s where the movie picks up from at the start.
- Ninjaman and Datas probably fought in the giant battle but ended up becoming inoperable/unable to fight. Note it is possible that Ninjaman was sealed back in the jar following the events of the legend war.
- Ohranger’s Gunmajin may have fought, but since he is so fickle, maybe not (laughs).
- Zuban survived that battle and that’s why he was still fighting in the war in what we see in the movie.
- In the movie, we’re only told Gokaiger takes place “a few years later” but it’s approximately 3 years. The only hint of that in the movie is Nozomu’s school uniform indicating he is in Grade 8 now.
But now it looks like that might not have been the whole story, at least not according to this screen shot from the latest episode of Go-Kaiger:
So what is this ominous, shadowed jar suppose to be? Well, almost everyone has speculated that this is the jar that Ninjaman was sealed in a millenium before the events of Kakuranger, and that most likely Ninjaman is still contained inside. or those that need further proof of this, take a look at this comparison to the scene below from Kakuranger:
So then, did Domon send them out to protect the Megakure shrine knowing that the jar was there? And if that really is Ninjaman’s jar, does that mean that Ninjaman is the key to gaining Kakuranger‘s Grand Power?
And if so, then what about the persistent rumors that the original Ninjaman suit is lost? Supposedly, there was only one suit made, and when Toei lended it to Saban for MMPR season 3, Saban lost the suit. Not sure if I believe that rumor, mostly because they would have had to make several suits for stunts and back-ups anyway. But they’ve been floating around for a while, so there.
Also worth noting for those of you unfamiliar with Kakuranger mythos, the reason Ninjaman was sealed away in the jar was because he was fooled by Daimaou into attacking humans, and was sealed away as punishment.
-M.C., the Quantum Twin